No more power-UPS
They cannot kill you, but they will take you of everything you have. A "Metroidvania" platformer in which abilities are gained by defeating a number of enemies, but can be lost if attacked by them a number of times.
The game was made in HMTL5 during No More Sweden 2014, in less than 24 hours, and following "enemies don't hurt you" and "hard" as themes. The game features low-res pixel-art styled graphics, killing and letting accumulate hordes of enemies and all of the satisfaction that comes from doing so.
No More Power UPS can be played from any browser, given that you are on a device with a keyboard or controller and which supports HTML5.
The character is moved by using the arrow keys, Z is for jumping, and X (assuming you have the ability!) is for firing your gun. To enjoy the game at its fullest you should also plug in a gamepad (xbox360's one is definitely supported, as for the others… no idea!), turn up the volume and play on a wide screen (ENORMOUS pixels!).
Abilities are listed, as stamps, on the envelope-like interface at the bottom of the screen:
- Jump (default) : When you have no stamps, moving and jumping will be the only actions you'll be able to perform. Jumping on enemy heads will be the only possible way to gain experience points and unlock the next level and ability.
- Base Shoot : Not being able to die doesn't mean not being able to kill, wield your trusty postman shotgun and make mincemeat of those pesky mutant beasts.
- Double-Jump : So clichè! Pressing the jump button a second time in mid-air will allow you to perform another jump to get past otherwise unreachable heights.
- POWER Shoot : Enemies are getting more and more annoying… notify them of your distraughtness by sending them a message in the form of rapid fired giant bullets.
- Havoc: Falling from a certain height will cause the earth to shake, nearby enemies to be repelled, and fragile blocks to break and allow you to progress in the stage!
There is only one stage in this prototype, but from this 48-hours experiment you can pretty much discern the key features of No More Power UPS… and if you happened to like it, don't hesitate to contact us. Who knows, maybe you'll convince us to continue its develpoment! :)
|Published||2 years ago|
|Platforms||Windows, macOS, Linux, HTML5|
|Release date||3 years ago|
|Tags||Action RPG, Experimental, Metroidvania, Pixel Art, power-ups, Retro, upgrades, ups|
|Average session||About a half-hour|
|Inputs||Keyboard, XBox 360 controllers|
Click download now to get access to the following files:
Leave a comment
Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.